The geranium plant is native to South Africa and has been used from historical times till date for its many beneficial properties. The essential oil of this plant is acquired through steam distillation of the stems and leaves of the plant. Its many health benefits include:
- Relieving stress, erratic behavior and depression
- Improves skin health
- Improves blood circulation
- Boosts dental health
- Balances hormonal disharmony
- Reduces inflammation
- Eases effects of menopause
- Aids better functioning of the kidney
5 interesting uses of the geranium essential oil are:
- Adding 2-3 drops of the geranium essential oil in your lotion or moisturizer helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Geranium essential oil has an anti-bacterial property that fights infections and acts as an astringent at the same time.
- Applying mildly diluted geranium oil on wounds and cuts induces faster healing and strengthening the immune system
- In case of wounds, applying geranium oil aids faster blood clotting to stop excess outflow of blood.
- Application of geranium oil is done to tighten muscles. Geranium essential oil has effects of muscle contraction. This helps tone the body muscles, and any saggy skin areas in your body.
The major components of this essential oil are:
- Geranyl butyrate
- Geranyl acetate
- Alpha pinene