It needs care, time, patience, consistency and effort to maintain a clear and beautiful skin. The variety of products recommended by the dermatologist are generally expensive or only have a short term effect. This article will show you best home remedies to remove blackheads from your face.
Blackheads are usually formed because of clogged pores, hormonal changes, over activity of oil glands, dirt or excessive use of make-up and are usually concentrated on the nose, forehead, chin, chest, back or any other part of the skin that has a lot of sebaceous glands.
Blackheads are actually dirt, oil and sebum locked in skin pores which gets harden gradually. They are embedded into the pores of the skin and their treatment works on the principle of cleaning these pores and purifying the blood.
Before discussing the home remedies to remove blackheads, you need to maintain some basic daily habits to ensure you don’t face with this problem in the future.
- Keep Your Face Clean – Make sure you wash your face twice daily and immediately remove make-up when you reach home from work. Your skin won’t be able to breathe freely resulting in dead cells and blackheads if you have dirt and make-up for long hours.
- Apply Astringent or Toner – Using a toner only in the evening and after removing make-up is enough although for some people using in twice seems effective.
- Exfoliate Regularly – Exfoliating once a week is very effective. Exfoliation helps to slough off the shed skin gently resulting in blackheads to fall off. Do not try to remove the blackheads by force or too much scrubbing.
- Improve Your Diet – A prolonged skin problem indicates digestive imbalance and intestinal problems. Add nutritious and fiber rich food to your diet. Tomatoes, grapefruit, spinach, avocado are some food names that help in detoxifying of liver and prevent your skin from breakouts and blackheads.
Effective Home Remedies To Remove Blackheads From Your Face
1. Facial Steaming
You can easily do this personal spa treatment at home. The steam will help open the pores and is one of the best ways to get rid of whiteheads and blackheads.
- Boil some water and pour it into a large bowl.
- You can add a few drops of essential oil: lavender, chamomile, rosemary, lemon.
- Put a large towel over your head and place your face over the bowl for 5 to 10 minutes to let the steam do its work.
- If you see that the whiteheads and blackheads have softened after the treatment, you can gently push them out (but don’t press or squeeze hard).
- Repeat this at least once a week.
2. Baking Soda Mask
Baking Soda treats not just your acne but is a good scrub for blackheads too. It helps in removing skin impurities and thereby opens up the clogged pores of the skin. Mix one part water with three parts baking soda to create a thick paste. Leave the mask on your face until it dries and then wash it off. This treatment can be very useful after facial steaming. Instead of baking soda, you can also use clay and make a clay mask.
3. Oatmeal Scrub
It’s important to give your face a proper scrub and supply it with some beneficial nutrients. You can make the following scrub at home:
- Mix equal parts of raw honey and oatmeal (adjust consistency if you want).
- Apply it on your face and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Before removing, massage your face gently for a few minutes.
- Rinse the scrub off using lukewarm water.
5. Egg and Honey facial mask
This great mask will open the pores, make them firmer and provide some moisture for your skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of organic yogurt, 1 tablespoon of raw honey and 1 egg white.
- Apply the mixture and leave it for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water.
6. Fenugreek leaves
Fenugreek leaves have been found beneficial too for blackheads removal. Crush a handful of fenugreek leaves and make it into a paste and apply on the blackheads. Wash off after 15 minutes.
7. Homey Face Wash
Honey is one of the best home remedies for blackheads. It makes the skin clean and clear by getting rid of bacteria present on your skin. It also helps in tightening skin pores and improves complexion too.
Honey is great as a subtle black head remover as it clings to the gunk in your pores and pulls it out. Here are the directions to safely use honey as a blackhead puller.
- Apply honey on your fingertips and quickly start patting on your blackhead infected areas.
- Continue this pattern for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water and pat dry with a clean towel.
Note: A lot of blogs and videos advocate the use of toothpaste on the face to remove blackheads. I strongly advise you against it. The mint in the toothpaste creates permanent damage to your skin in the long run. The pores / skin on your face dies off and the holes stay open resulting in a burning sensation. You might also get liquid puss pimples if you use toothpaste on your whole face regularly.