Infertility primarily refers to the biological inability of a person to contribute to conception. In women, it may also refer to the state when she is not able to carry a pregnancy to its full term.
According to Ayurveda, preparing for conception can be easily compared to the process of farming. Just like the health of a crop depends on the quality of soil, seed, timing of sowing, and amount of watering it gets, the health of a baby depends on the health of its parents. For a pregnancy to be healthy and successful, a couple needs to take care of the following four essential factors:
- Sperm/Ovum (Seeds)
- Uterus (Soil)
- Nourishment (Water)
- Time for Conception (Timing of Sowing)
Reproductive health, in both men and women, depends on the health of the reproductive tissue or shukra dhatu. In women, shukra creates the ovum as part of the monthly cycle, and in men the semen is formed due to sexual stimulation. The shukra is created as part of a long chain of metabolic transformations. It starts with the digestion of food, then goes on to transformation of food to nutrient fluid, blood, muscle, fat, bone, bone marrow, and finally, to shukra tissue. Healthy shukra tissue, then, according to Ayurveda, depends on the health of all the other tissues in the body.
Diet and Lifestyle Advice
- Consume more of dairy proteins, including milk, lassi (buttermilk), and panir (fresh cheese made of milk)
- Eat soaked almonds or soaked walnuts (you can grind them and add them to your vegetables)
- Sweet, juicy fruits such as mangoes, peaches, plums, and pears are recommended
- Spices such as ajwain (bishop’s weed) powder, cumin (which purifies the uterus in women and the genitourinary tract in men), turmeric (to improve the interaction between hormones and targeted tissues), and black cumin are also good for enhancing fertility.
- If your digestion is strong, eat urad daal (Split Black Gram) cooked with equal parts of turmeric, cumin, coriander, and fennel
- A banana cooked in ghee, cinnamon, and cardamom is a tasty and wholesome dessert for people with strong digestion
- Avoid high-fat foods and foods containing preservatives
- Caffeine should also be limited, especially if you’re having trouble conceiving
- Refined carbs, such as white bread, pasta and rice, should be limited
- Smoking, eating a lot of meat, or drinking alcohol is not recommended
- Stress can have a major impact on women’s fertility. The importance of a positive attitude is essential when trying to get pregnant.
- Being both overweight and underweight can impair a woman’s odds of getting pregnant. If you are underweight, your reproductive system will shut down because of the body’s inability to maintain a pregnancy. On the other hand, being overweight or obese reduces a woman’s chances of getting pregnant.
Some Home Remedies
Shukra nourishing herbs such as Shatavari (Asparagus Racemosus), Kaunch (Mucuna Pruriens), Bhilawa (Salmalia Malabarica), and Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) are highly recommended to improve the quality and quantity of your reproductive fluid.