What is Mirror Gazing Meditation?
The mirror gazing meditation technique is a very powerful method for encountering one’s unconsciousness. By unconscious what we mean is “less conscious”.
Caution and Tips
- Splash cold water on your eyes and keep wet cloth or cotton on eyes for a while after doing this meditation in order to avoid any irritations or headaches.
- Do not practice this meditation if you have any eye related problems.
- Do no practice this technique if you suffer from low or high blood pressure.
- Stop doing this if you experience any strong discomfort.
- Do not practice this exercises in the group or even in pair as “Other’s thoughts and energies” will interfere with your own.
- People with a history of mental illness, PTSD, or panic disorders are urged not to use this technique without a therapist.
How is Mirror Gazing Meditation Performed?
Taken from: Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, Dynamics of Meditation
Close the doors of your room and put a big mirror just in front of you. The room must be dark.
Then put a small flame by the side of the mirror in such a way that it is not directly reflected in it. Just your face is reflected in the mirror – not the flame.
Then constantly stare into your own eyes in the mirror. Do not blink.
This is a forty-minute experiment. Within two or three days you will be able
to focus your eyes without blinking.
Even if tears come, let them come but persist in not blinking. And go on staring constantly into your eyes. Do not change the stare. Go on staring into the eyes – your OWN…
And within two or three days you will become aware of a very strange phenomenon. Your face will begin to take new shapes. You may even get scared. The face in the mirror will begin to change. Sometomes a very different face will be there which you have never known as yours. But, really, all these faces belong to you.
Now the subconscious mind is beginning to explode these faces. These masks are yours! Sometimes even a face that belongs to your past life may come in.
And after one week of constant staring for forty minutes, your face will become just a flux,
just a film-like flux. Many faces will be coming and going constantly.
After three weeks you will not be able to remember which is your face. Your own face, you will not be able to remember, because you have seen so many faces coming and going.
If you continue anyway, then after three weeks the strangest thing happens. Suddenly there is no face in the mirror. The mirror is vacant. You are staring into emptiness. There is no face at all.
This is the moment!
Close your eyes, and encounter the unknown. When there is no face in the mirror
just close your eyes. This is the most significant moment. Close the eyes, look inside
and you will face the unknown. You will be naked, completely nothing, as you ARE.
All deceptions fall.
This is the reality, but the society has created many, many layers, not to be aware of it. Once you know yourself in your nakedness, your total nakedness, you begin to be
a different person. Then you cannot deceive yourself. Now you know what you are,
and unless you know what you are you can naver transform, because any transformation becomes possible only in this naked reality.
This naked reality is potential for any transformation. No deception can be transformed. Your original face is now here, and you can transform it. And really, just a will to transform it, will affect the transformation.
But you cannot transform your false faces. You can change them, but you cannot transform them. By change I mean you can replace them with another face. So, a thief can become a monk. A criminal can become a saint. It is very easy to change, to replace the masks, the faces. These are no transformations at all.
Transformation means becoming that which you really are. The moment you face the unconscious, encounter the unconscious, you are face to face with the reality of your authentic being.
This encounter is basic, foundational, for any religious happening. So, many many methods have been invented. There are sudden methods. There are gradual methods. I have told you about a gradual method.
Benefits of Mirror Gazing Meditation
- The ability to “read” higher frequency vibrations/ “auras”
- The ability to communicate visually
- The ability to influence others by way of energies transmitted through the eyes
- The ability to defend against other people attempting to influence you through the eyes
- An awareness of previous incarnations of both yourself and other people
- The area of vibrational influence surrounding you like a giant aura (also called your circumvent force)